Follow me

urban sketches?

Melbourne is actually packed full of old and interesting buildings (trying to concentrate on writing this entry whilst listening to Good Night Sweet Girl - yeah, not working out so good atm, lol. I'm a fan, sue me XD); you can't walk down any street in the city without bumping into one.

All of the victorian-era-esque buildings that you see still standing around the city would be protected by the Victoria Heritage Register, and I love how these majestic buildings will be preserved for future generations. I was actually living in Hong Kong and was there to witness it when they pulled down the Queen's Pier. It was disappointing to see proof of a government that would be more interested in financial gains than preserving the city's historical landmarks... it's not like there are many left to begin with.

Anyway, back on topic.
Some of these buildings make for great subject matter for sketches and paintings. I've always been iffy about drawing buildings as my perspectives are always kind of off. But finally I bit the bullet and started sketching.



I thought I would start off with something relatively simple.

Then I realised that it's never simple when you have a building at an angle.

It's still very much a work in progress, but I plan to ink it and colour it.

I admit that I've lost a bit of my initial enthusiasm to finish it. All the itty bitty details on the storefront - which had attracted me to this subject to begin with - had become the reason for my procrastination.

I am an impatient person and sometimes I want to complete a piece of art, RIGHT NOW. If I don't manage to do so, then the incomplete piece may sit on the page for quite a while. In actual fact it's been a month, at least, since I took that photo above and this entry. In this time, the sketch has not progressed =_=

I feel guilty even writing about it. Perhaps I should go home tonight and finish it - although I have an appointment to watch Harry Potter 7.2 tonight... after HP then... ;P

Comments

  1. Love how you used the photos to inform your sketches. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts